1. Place whole potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil for 3-5 minutes. NOTE: The number of potatoes needed depends on the number of people you are serving. A good rule of thumb is one large or two small potatoes per person.
2. Pour water off, put a lid on the pot to hold in steam and let potatoes cool just enough for you to be able to handle them.
3. ‘Rub’ off potato skins or remove with a sharp knife.
4. After potatoes have cooled completely, slice into well-buttered baking dish large enough to hold the amount of potatoes cooked. Cut a stick of butter into tablespoon-size pieces and place randomly among the potatoes.
5. In a separate bowl, combine and pour over potatoes:
1 cup milk for an 8 inch dish or 1 ½ cups for a 9x13
2-3 tbsp. flour (whisk well to remove lumps)
2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (depending on size of pan)
Salt and pepper to taste
6. Place slices of American cheese over potatoes, two layers thick
7. Cover dish with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray (sprayed side in) and bake at 375 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes.
8. Remove foil and cook until cheese is browned on top and potatoes are fork-tender.
Remove from oven and let set for 5-7 minutes. Serve to hungry people.