These days more and more of us are stretching our budgets and looking for new and creative ways to trim the grocery bill without sacrificing taste and nutrition. Canned soup has been a staple in family pantries for many years, and over the decades it has changed to accommodate our needs to include low-fat and low-salt versions. Here are some quick and appetizing ideas to jazz up canned soup while heating it over the stove:
- Stir broccoli florets (thawed or frozen) into cream of chicken soup
- Add coleslaw mix to minestrone soup.
- Stir sliced chorizo sausage, corn, and salsa into black bean soup.
- Sprinkle shredded Swiss cheese on servings of split-pea soup.
- Stir a tub of basil pesto into hot tomato soup.
- Stir a can of tomatoes with green chilies into Cheddar cheese soup.
- Add diced ham to cream of asparagus soup.
- Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese on servings of lentil soup.
- Stir a can of kernel corn or sliced mushrooms into New England clam chowder.
- Dissolve 1-2 tbsp. flour in a cup of milk and add to a can of vegetable beef soup for quick beef stew. Simmer until gravy thickens (may need to add more milk for desired consistency).
- Add a small can of diced carrots to beef barley soup.
There are hundreds of more great ideas for economical ways to used canned soup. Please share some of yours!
Copyright 2009 Charlene Davis