Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fouled-up Fries

Earlier this month I gave a review of Missy Chase Lapine’s, The Sneaky Chef cookbook. I made her recipe for Crispy No Fry Fries for my finicky son, who is also known around these parts as “The Fry King” because of his obsession with French fries. Much to my delight, he actually liked this healthier version of the standard French fry, so I have made them several times – but with an accidental twist. The second time I made this recipe I tried to do it without reading it again because I was in a hurry to get dinner in the oven and on the table. Here’s what happened:

Instead of using just the egg white as instructed, I cracked the last egg I had, added a tablespoon of olive oil and whipped them together in a bowl. As I was dipping the cut up fries in the mixture, my son (who was overseeing the proceedings) asked if the fries were supposed to be yellow. Huh?! Sure enough, I had included the egg yolk. And did you catch the part where I said this was my last egg?

Naturally I couldn’t let him know I had just screwed up because nary a single fry would pass between his lips. So I calmly assured him that yellow was definitely the color of choice for these tasty taters. And do you know what? He loved them! Insists they are the best fries I have ever made! And I get the same rave reviews each time I make them. So here’s the recipe:

Fouled-up Fries

1 whole egg
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large russet potato
Salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and cut potato into wedges, sticks or rounds. Whip together the egg and olive oil. Dip potatoes into the mixture and put on a cookie sheet that has been liberally sprayed with cooking oil. Cook for 15 minutes; flip potatoes over with a spatula and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Salt as desired.

Serves 2

*Note: The Sneaky Chef recommends dusting the fries with a tablespoon of cornmeal before baking, but I omitted that ingredient in my version. However, that does sound like an interesting option you may want to choose.

Copyright 2008 Charlene Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment