Saturday, December 29, 2007

Apple Spice Potpourri

3 tbsp dried apple slices (see note)
1/2 cup pink and red carnation petals
1/4 cup dried sweet woodruff leaves
2 tbsp crumbled cinnamon or one 3" cinnamon stick
1 whole nutmeg, grated (1 1/2 tsps)
1 tbsp whole cloves
1 tbsp julienne orange peel
3 drops of cinnamon or vanilla scented oil

Note: To dry apples, slice paper thin and place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet in 150 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Mix dried apple slices with remaining ingredients. Store in a tightly covered glass jar.

For simmering potpourri, use a teaspoon potpourri per one cup of water. Place potpourri in water, bring to a boil and simmer on low until the whole house is perfumed; turn off heat. Strain and let dry if you wish to save and reuse the potpourri.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm going to try the dried apples, but I'm going to use the "ribbon peeler" to see if I can make spirals instead of slices! I do have a question. woodruff leaves. what's a woodruff? Can I buy those at Michaels? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie! Woodruff is a sweet smelling herb that has a variety of uses. Medicinally it can be used for stomach ailments or a sleep aid. It can also be used in beverages such as tea or wine. When dried, it has a sweet hay and vanilla type of aroma that is often used in potpourris. Dried woodruff is even effective as an insect repellant! I'm not sure if you can find it at Michaels, but I know you can at Chamberlains and Whole Foods.

    I've been thinking about growing my own in a small container garden. One of the things I would like to do this new year is start an herb garden, so we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete