Thursday, November 15, 2007

Chocolate Coffee Beans

1 c whole coffee beans
4 oz. milk chocolate pieces
3 tablespoons of cocoa

Preheat oven to 350º F. Place coffee beans on baking pan and roast for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. In double boiler, melt chocolate until very creamy. Add coffee beans and stir until completely coated. Remove with slotted spoon allowing excess chocolate to drip off and place beans on waxed paper so they do not stick together. Once the coffee beans have cooled sufficiently, but the chocolate is still a little soft, roll the beans in your hands to form round balls. Roll each one in cocoa and set aside until chocolate has hardened. Makes about 1 ½ cups.

5 comments:

  1. Okay. Wait. I'm confused. Then what? Do you grind it? The chocolate doesn't gum up the grinder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, silly. You eat them whole - like candy. Roasted coffee beans are wonderful! And they are even better dipped in chocolate :) But a note of caution: just eat a few at a time because the java will give you jolt if you eat too many. I just made this recipe tonight and I probably won't sleep a wink after all of the "tasting" I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've NEVER heard of that! Thanks for the idea - I'll try it out. I just assumed the coffee beans would be hard as a rock. I'm very intrigued! It would be a WONDERFUL gift for my sister, the coffee freak. I always buy Barnie's flavored coffee, so the flavored beans with the chocolate should be even better! I'm trying hazelnut first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roasted coffee beans are crunchy like soy nuts. Very tasty too. And I really like your idea about using flavored coffee beans. Another tip: last night when I made the coffee beans, I added a tablespoon of powdered sugar. That's optional, of course, but it added a little sweetness. You could probably even roll the chocolate covered beans in powdered sugar by itself. The cocoa or sugar helps to "set" the chocolate. I didn't let my chocolate set or harden long enough before I started rolling it and they look like little rabbit turds LOL! But they are still yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just one other tip...make sure the coffee beans are roasted dark. This way they will be more "crunchy" and will also have some caramel from the bean. If the beans are too light, they could be too hard!

    ReplyDelete